Sunday, December 7, 2014

Nerves of Straw: Unsocial Media


Throughout these last few blog posts, I have mentioned, time and time again, that one way to deal with my anxiety is to distract myself. What is the quickest, easiest way to distract yourself in 2014? Social Media. I have: Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, E!, Twitter, Spotify, and many more apps  on my phone, that is always by me. Even though using my social media apps makes me less social in my environment, it helps lower my anxiety. I think this is part of why it helps to, I go into the social media world, and leaving the one I’m anxious in behind.


  

“Oh, I’m feeling trapped, I need to focus my attention on something other than this feeling.” * opens Facebook* * scroll, scroll, scroll * “Wow that was neat, I can’t believe how interesting this article that Caitlin shared is.” Boom, anxiety averted. If I’m still anxious, * opens Snapchat * *Snap a picture of my dog (if she’s in Duluth with me) * * send to EVERYONE, because she’s so damn cute* “Oh I got a snap back from Lucas! Oh… (Sarcasm) cute face, I’m going to go barf now (not really…. Well maybe, he’s weird). Still anxious, * opens Instagram * “Cool” * swipe down * “oh how interesting, that cat does look pretty sophisticated in that hat and monocle.” “Oh Kim, but your butt back in your clothes… Oh my glob this place looks like so much fun!” This will go on until I’m done being uneasy or I run into pictures that I have already looked at from the last time I was anxious.

The giant social media world that we have made is great, but dangerous. I can find myself distracting myself for hours longer than I need to. I mean, I follow “Distractify” on Facebook for Pete’s sake! So I do try (not hard) to limit my use of social media, if it improves I’ll let you know.

Other than apps and the infinite possibilities on the Internet, I do like to watch a significant amount of television (sorry Grandma!) and movies. My roommate, Megan, and I don’t have cable so all of my TV viewing is done through Netflix (I have the app for that!) or the site of the show itself (i.e. ABC, AMC, etc.)

Movies can be longer escapes, as oppose to TV shows. Movies initially give you a larger time commitment of anywhere from 1.5-4 hours. Unlike TV shows that usually last about 30-60 minutes (25-45 with no commercials). Though, people are more prone to watching many episodes of a show (Can I get a “Holla” from my fellow bingers!?) rather than multiple movies. Either way, both of these offer a great opportunity to be involved in a different world, to distract yourself for awhile, or maintain a schedule if you watch the shows when they premiere.

You get to leave your world of anxiety to explore the world of: action, comedy, cult classics/new cult films (my favorite genre- Rocky Horror Picture Show, Running With Scissors, The Bird Cage), horror, anime, or whatever your little heart desires. Get into a “reality” show and be entertained by the stupidity that is American entertainment (Jersey Shore for instance)- hey maybe this will even make you feel better about yourself, or maybe a nice mystery to really keep your mind involved. Whatever the choice, it’s nice to just have some time to yourself or with loved ones and just have that on your mind.

For me, the healthiest and most reassuring way to deal with my anxiety is to talk it out with one of my many great friends. I’m fortunate enough to have friends that I can always rely on and call in anytime of need. If I’m having a panic attack I can pick up my phone, call someone and talk it out. I usually talk to my roommate, Megan, Caitlin, Lucas (aka Jasmine Stripper Candy), my longest best friend Ronnei, or my dad. I usually call my dad or Ronnei before anyone else, because they think similarly and in a way that I cannot. All of these people are great at looking at the whole picture, understand where I’m coming from, and help me organize my fears/worries/etc. into a more logical light. I’m more hesitant in talking to people when I’m depressed, the difference being that when I’m depressed I feel like a worthless loser, and “who would want to talk to a fuck up like me?” It is also harder for people to hear what thoughts I may be having, and I don’t like to worry my friends. I know that my thoughts are temporary and nothing will come from them. Though, if I do get too overwhelmed I am able to call and talk it out.


When I just don’t want to talk it out, whether its how I’m feeling, I’m too tired from the problem at hand, or just want to be alone and figure it out for myself, writing everything down helps too! Making “pros and cons” lists, writing down how I feel, and writing out some random scenarios that can come out of my twistedness can be relieving.

No matter what I chose to do the only way ANY of this will help me is if I’m HONEST with myself. The key to pretty much anything is being HONEST. Honest with yourself about how you’re feeling, honest with others, and honest with your mistakes, actions, and sayings. I personally don’t find it hard to be honest or blunt. Sometimes I’m confrontational, but I deal with my problems in the end.  Honesty is everything. 

1 comment:

  1. TALK IT OUT. Yes. No social media can ever take the place of that.

    ReplyDelete