Sunday, September 7, 2014

Aristotelian Analysis

Aristotelian Analysis
Internet Bridge Troll

Caution! This video contains slander.

To stick with the theme of this class, social media, I decided that, aside from the language, this video would fit really well with everything. This video shows and explains what an "internet troll" is. This video was made and posted by the popular user CollegeHumor. I’m sure you can assume the intended audience, college aged kids. Though other ages can enjoy some of their videos too. Most of their videos do carry a message with them, though the main intent is to be a funny video. I personally find this to be a trustworthy source, they have been accurate with descriptions of many other videos, do not try to mislead their viewers, though their portrayals of people (such as their alternative Honey Boo Boo, Precious Plum) are obviously just to be humorous rather than accurate. The obscure language and illogical sayings "the holocaust didn't happen" are actually said on the Internet and social media, such as Facebook. In any form of social media there will be multiple people commenting on things strictly to upset people and get a reaction (as this video shows). To me, the entire act of "trolling" people is completely ridiculous, frustrating, and pathetic. The only thing that a “troll” gets from their posts is negative reactions to (I guess) feel empowered that they can get emotions directed at them. In short, an Internet troll is a cyber bully. Instead of getting physical they can hide behind their computer, not actually having to deal with consequences to their actions, nor do they seem to care how they may affect others. I found that, just like a physical bully, if you do not react or really even acknowledge them they move on. By ignoring them you give no reaction, taking away any counteract they may want to do. You cant argue logic with an illogical person. Nonetheless, this video is pretty funny, while giving the viewer a better understanding of what an "internet troll" is like.

5 comments:

  1. I mean this in a very positive way: your post is dense. By that, I mean you have packed a lot of thought into a relatively short space. I almost feel like burping with satisfaction by the end!

    In terms of your analysis, you veer, in the second half, into your own reactions to the video's content; ideally, you'd stick to the elements of the Aristotelian analysis as you measure the success of the video's argument. But clearly it inspired Pathos in you!

    Two small things:

    1) You're missing an apostrophe in "cant" towards the end.

    2) The contrast between your font color and background color could be more dramatic, as the white of the text isn't very bright, so it made me work to read this very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jocelyn, I definitely burped with satisfaction at the end! I kind of regret writing my analysis the way I did because its pretty boring if you ask me, but your short analysis has everything it needs and is interesting. You also say everything that I've wanted to say to a few internet trolls on my facebook feed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you found a video with a little bit of humor on this topic but it also gets to the point and informs people how to avoid conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed your attempt to throw humor into the assignment, like the others who have posted before me I "burped with satisfaction" it was a very enjoyable post with a funny video. It was an awesome analysis and those things in the video and your post needed to be said! Hopefully people can learn from what you've blogged. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that we share a lot of passions! especially photography, I have always been interested in photography and how Photoshop can stretch the limits. The last picture you have posted is also one that catches my eye.

    ReplyDelete